As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

John 8:47-59 (NRSV)

Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God."  The Jews answered him, "Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?"  Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.  Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge.  Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death."  The Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon.  Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, 'Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.'  Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?  The prophets also died.  Who do you claim to be?"  Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, 'He is our God,' though you do not know him.  But I know him; if I would say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word.   Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad."  Then the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"   Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am."   So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.



“They picked up stones to throw at him.”  I think that Jesus has finally reached a point with the leaders that he had no other choice other than to hide and then duck out.  The continued dialogue upsets the Jews to the point of accusing Jesus of having a demon.  They also call him a Samaritan, which is understandable because the Samaritans thought they were the true keepers of the Abrahamic religion prior to the Babylonian exile.

In the past few days, the readings have been leading up to this scene. The Jews (notably the Pharisees and scribes – the leaders) who want to trap Jesus on one side, and Jesus preaching and teaching and offering a new way to everlasting life on the other. The leaders of the community have their authority put into question. 

Jesus thwarts the Jews with his claim to be from God.  They don’t believe him and continue to challenge him bringing up Abraham and the prophets.  Jesus infuriates them by telling them that he was before Abraham.  This leads to the threat of the stones.

The call today is to be firm in our faith; be not only hearers of the word but doers.  Jesus is the perfect teacher and does not base his claims on what he says but on what he does (healing, forgiving, teaching).  The word of Jesus is the word of God and gives life and power to those who believe.  Jesus shows us the way that leads to truth and holiness.  And he anoints us with his power to live the gospel with joy and to be his witnesses in the world.  Are we doers of God's word, or hearers only?

No comments:

Post a Comment